Wednesday, December 9, 2009

NEW POEM - "Affecting My City - The Prequel"

Hey Everybody,

I'm up late working, but I wanted to drop off a continuation of "Affecting My City" as promised. Funny part is, I am actually posting what I have called the prequel, since it was written before the recent post and transitions smooth into the present.

As those of you close to me know, I'm putting major work this month, but I know that it'll pay off. And besides, this is my favorite time of year (despite the weather). Keep me in your thoughts as I work to press the towards the final steps towards completion for the book.

As usual, leave me some feedback, spread the word, and be ready for what's to come! Peace and be blessed!



Affecting My City - The Prequel



From a place where hope is little
Which is why I left
In an effort to get it all right
Fiends up all night
Looking for the next hit to make things all right
Lights illuminating city streets
People lurking in shadows
Babies crying, covered in dirty sheets
Wearing clothes that remain laced with filth
People with absent consciences
Never riddled with guilt
With survival prioritized at the top
Being constantly scrutinized by those at the top
Held down and restrained
Those too weak, fell down into the flames
Finally at some level of peace
Marked with a stone slab with no name
Proof that the rich do get richer
And the poor stays stuck in the ring
A cycle that is a permanent sting
People subject to mere peasantry
With no hopes of ever being a king
Or any other respected societal figure
Through all of this, I’m trying to figure
How this scenario can be ceased
Burdening load removed or at least eased
An antidote to this inherent social disease
But nothing’ll change
Until this thinking is done by some more other than me
Willing to affect my city
By any and all means…



-W.A. Gordon

2 comments: