Friday, February 13, 2009

NEW POEM - "Different Pages, Different Chapters"

Hey Everybody,

With that weekend coming up, I figured I'd write about the reality of relationships in a new poem. I think that everybody who reads it will agree and disagree, laugh, cry (I hope not), or maybe even see themselves in the words. As always, please check it out and let me know what you think. Whenever you do, all you're doing is helping me get better at what I'm trying to do for a living. Thanks for visiting and enjoy!


Different Pages, Different Chapters

We always seem to be on different pages
Or worse yet, different chapters
So many challenging communication cases
So many examples to capture
My heart is yours and even captured
Which makes it all difficult
I prefer conflict less than laughter
Don’t want it to get even more difficult
We both mean well and good
But the words often go in vain
Especially when the other can’t tell it’s good
The fabric of our relationship continues to collect stains


Feeling like our wires keep getting crossed
Mixed and in translation lost
I try so hard not to be lost
All for our heart’s sake
I’d rather win you over than be lost
I’ll keep playing the game
Regardless of what the cards say
I’ll keep loving you the same
In hopes that my efforts alone will make you stay
But the conversations get uneasy
We both watch it break down
It all happens now so easy
Watching the communication walls break down
I miss all of the preliminary
The newness that we started in
I guess all of that was temporary
Fleeting happy days have our hearts hardening


Some days the talk is sweet
Easy going, words move smooth
Loving the word exchange between you and me
But other times clouds swoop and swoon
And stormy weather plagues you and me
Then the confusion opens up
Giving me a bushel of apples
And pleading for me to make lemonade
This war of words drains my ammo
While you’re upping your weapon-grade
Evolving in our battle of wits
And we know we’re both armed
The words cause the battle to escalate and shift
Words now becoming even more strong
And now we’re both at risk of being even more wrong
With maturity and reason being evicted
Without 30 days notice
And neither of us notice
That the communication is now on four flats
Getting us stuck on the road to nowhere
It’s my “perspective” versus your “facts”
Crossing “Caution” tape, making us go there


And so in reading the book about us
I sadly see that we’re indeed on different pages
Even worse, in different chapters
My hindsight recollecting all of the prior stages
And how again and again we exist in the peacetime after
But is it any different in the after?
Our feelings and reason will have to decipher
Opting to cry now to later enjoy laughter after?
A decision left to us, the story writers
Readers observe and think this is one and done
With no sequel possible
But I look at how far we’ve come
And I know that more than a trilogy is possible
I’m prepared to challenge the impossible
Because I know that love makes all possible
Besides, I’m loving the plotline
Getting caught in the plot’s twists and turns
Going for your heart since you’ve got mine
Really, I’d be that character missing her
And despite the hits and misses with words
I’m ok with being in different pages or even chapters
At least we’re still in the same book
And there’s no telling what’s to come in the stories after


-W.A. Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment