Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Reflection - NEW POEM

Hey Everybody-

This is the poem that I wrote last night, but didn't have the energy to put on the blog. This might be the last poem that I post for a little while since I have a lot of final steps to make with my book, but I'll still be active on the blog running my mouth piece on a lot of things, so keep following and commenting. I appreciate the dialog that I've had so far with some of you about my work and look forward to more. In the meantime, please enjoy my new piece and take the time to look over and leave some commentary for me about ANYTHING. Thanks again for visiting and be blessed!


Inauguration Reflection

Here I sit in anticipation
On the brink of history
A King’s dream brought to reality
Date of fruition no longer a mystery
The case is finally solved
Due to an unrelenting resolve
One man’s drive for optimal change
In spite of the many issues needed to be solved
And now “yes we can” is commonplace
A battle cry for the common face
Variation of color and credo
Hopeful smiles on each and every face

Watching transcendent history
My eyes bear witness
No way this moment in time is missing me
My mind will never forget this
A moment that epitomizes overcoming
Triumphing over roadblocks and negatives
So many eyes with tears overrunning
Still amazed that I’m seeing this as I breathe and live
The belief this gives
Restoring hope to the hopeless
Truly, I’m feeling the shift
Seeing what having faith and hope gets

I’m seeing a dream no longer deferred
A dream archived for forty-plus
A King prophesied what is about to occur
A selection approved by the majority-plus
Being a minority’s tough
But leaves no room for excuses and settling
Silver status is okay to some
But we only remember those who are gold-medalling
And so as we witness the passing of the torch
A new trail is blazed and scorched
Inspiring myself and others of my generation
Seeing my reflection in this special inauguration


-W.A. Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment